In order to encourage Research on musculoskeletal topics by researchers early in their careers, the ISS will award 4-5 Research grants each year to develop projects in the field of musculoskeletal disorders.
- Projects can be proposed by residents, fellows or attendings within 5 years of completion of their residency or fellowship.
- Each project should be sponsored by a member of the ISS or a member of a national MSK society that is affiliated with the ISS. No thematic areas are stipulated, although it has to be linked to the musculoskeletal field (diagnostic and interventional imaging, pathology, orthopaedics, rheumatology…).
- Each project should have a maximum length of one year although six additional months may be requested.
- The chief of the department where the work is to be performed to provide confirmation that the young researcher will be allowed to perform the research and that mentoring will be provided when needed.
ISS will award the sum of $2,500.00 per grant. The sum will be awarded to the applicant’s department and may not be used to fund salary support or indirect costs.
Grants will be transferred to recipient according to the following timeline:
– 50% when the research begins, as communicated by grant recipient;
– 50% after six months activity, upon presentation of interim results
Engagement / Commitment
Final work will be presented at the first ISS meeting that follows project completion.
Manuscripts resulting from funding awarded should be submitted to Skeletal Radiology. Each manuscript submitted that uses acquired data or resources drawn from the funded project will include the following phrase among acknowledgments: “This research was partially/totally funded by the Early Career Grant awarded by the International Skeletal Society”.
Online Application available: March 28, 2022.
Deadline to submit: June 13, 2022.
Winners will be announced during the ISS meeting.
Further inquiries should be addressed to the attention of Sue O'Sullivan at the ISS office: [email protected]